Hamburger Helper is a great food choice for those who don’t have time to cook full meals. It’s basically a package of dry pasta and seasoning. You have to add water, meat, and milk additionally while cooking. But what will you do if one of the ingredients, like meat, is not available?
Can you make a hamburger helper without meat? Here’s the thing. Water, milk, and meat are all additional ingredients, so it’s okay if you want to cook hamburger helper without meat. It will be a simple macaroni dish for you then. You can also replace meat with something else like lentils.
Some people are non-vegetarian, so they like meat in their hamburger helper. In comparison, vegetarians like to skip the meat part and want something that’ll not compromise the taste of hamburger helper. So here’s how you can make this delicious treat box without meat.
The process is quite simple. The instructions on the hamburger helper box say roast some beef in a pan. You can use the beefless ground instead of beef. It’s totally meat-free and a tasty alternative for vegetarians.
After stirring the beefless ground for one minute, add one cup of milk. Add 2.5 cups of water to it. Stir the ingredients well. Add some rice and the seasoning that came in the box. Let it simmer on low heat for about 20 minutes so that the rice is fully cooked. Make sure to place the lid on the pan for simmering.
Now take 3 tablespoons of milk in a bowl and add the topping mix (it comes with the box too). It’ll look very creamy, and this is your sauce.
Add the dry pasta that came in the box to the pan. Mix it well and let it cook until you get a thick consistency. Use the sauce you made earlier as garnishing, and enjoy your vegetarian macaroni.
Vegans, we’ve got a hamburger helper recipe for you, so don’t go anywhere. It’s super delicious and packed with flavors. It just requires 30 minutes of your time, a pot, and these ingredients.
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1.5 cups warm vegan broth( you can use vegetable broth too)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 finely minced garlic cloves
- ½ tsp salt or as per your taste
- Diced ½ yellow onion
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp pepper or as per your taste
- 1 tsp oregano
- Shredded vegan cheese of your preference
- 1.5 cups of unsweetened milk of your preference
- 2 cups pasta of your preference
- 1 lb. emerge grinds
Optional ingredient: 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves chopped (for garnishing)
- Put a large skillet on medium heat, add cooking oil and let it heat. Now add onions and garlic. Saute for about 3-4 minutes or until you see the onions getting transparent. You will also be able to smell the fragrance of garlic.
- Add the emerge grinds; it’s a vegan alternative for ground beef. Break them using a ladle. Stir occasionally and cook for 6 minutes. When cooked, drain any extra fat.
- Take a small bowl. Mix pepper, paprika, oregano, salt, chili powder, and cornstarch in the bowl. Sprinkle this mixture in the pan and mix it.
- Add the milk, pasta, and broth, and let everything boil. Cover with a lid and let it simmer on low heat. Cook it for 10-12 minutes or till the pasta is cooked.
- You should know that the consistency gets thick as it gets cold.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese all over the pasta and mix until it melts.
- Garnish with parsley and serve it hot.
Secret tip: If you want to do something creative with your vegan hamburger helper, replace the vegetable broth with tomato sauce.
You can store the leftovers of your homemade hamburger helper by refrigerating them in an airtight container. You can use them for up to 3 days.
You can freeze them in an airtight container when there is so much hamburger helper left. This can be used for up to three months.
You can easily reheat your leftovers on a stove on medium heat. You can also reheat them gently in a microwave.
We always want something by the side of our meals like drinks. Here’s what you can serve with your hamburger helper:
- Drinks like juices
Yes, the box version can save you a little time on a busy morning or night. But when you make a homemade hamburger helper, it gives you a lot of fresh flavors. You can also control what type of seasoning you want on the plus side. Extra chili powder, here it is. Homemade means you can also choose what type of cheese you want.